Shot resistant sports hall ceilings
Advantages of Metawell® sports hall ceilings
- Meets requirements for ball impact resistance acc. to DIN18032-3 and impact resistance acc. to DIN EN 13964-D
- Complies with sound absorption requirements
- Large-scale aluminium sandwich panel up to 1480 x 6000 mm
- Weight incl. meander only max. 8 kg/m2
- Mountable with countersunk head screws on all standard rails for dry construction
- The screw heads remain visible, though they become indistinct between the perforation
- Because of the sandwich structure an extrem even design is visible
- Smooth and flat ceiling structure with a sealed cavity
- Dirt cannot settle down
- Balls cannot get stuck behind the ceiling
- The entire ceiling serves as an acoustic absorption surface.
- The ceiling system can also be used for heating, optionally for cooling
- EPD acc. DIN EN ISO 14025 Type III and EN 15804
The installation of the ceiling is quite simple and is carried out using standard CD rails and drywall screws – special and expensive substructures are not required. A coarse and fine grid construction is mounted to the ceiling. The coarse grid has a spacing of 900 mm, the spacing of the fine grid depends on the
width of the ceiling panels. If the width is 1480 mm, three fine grids must be provided per panel; in each case on the panel longitudinal edges and in the centre of the panel. The spacing is 700 mm.
The perforated ceiling panels have a pre-drilled 2 mm hole instead of a 6 mm perforation hole at the points where the drywall screws have to be set – which clearly determines the positioning of the screws. The screw head diameter of 5.9 mm is very similar to a perforation hole, so the attachment is hardly noticeable from the floor. In our example the gap between the panels is 10 mm. All edge panels are supplied with over dimension. The excess material has to be cut off by the customer during assembly. This allows to level out tolerances of the building and to create a uniform shadow gap towards the walls.
On basis of the building physics data of the sports hall, the heating load of the hall is calculated by the planner, whereby the room height has a great influence on the temperature distribution. In order to ensure the desired temperature in the area where the athletes are, a correction factor should be included in the calculation. Example: For a sports hall with a height of 7 m, a heat load of 25,000 watts is determined. The correction factor according to the table is 0.7.
The heat load to be provided by the ceiling is therefore 35,700 watts.
Room acoustics & reverberation time of the ceiling elements
In order to ensure the speech intelligibility during training lessons and to keep the noise disturbance for athletes, trainer and audience low, room acoustic measurements are undertaken. Subject to the kind of room use and the space volume the reverberation period in sports halls should amount to 1,4 to 2,5 sec. and in multi-purpose halls even to 1,1 to 4,4 sec. DIN EN 18032 explicitly requests the planning of room acoustics:
- speech intelligibility in the single and in particular multiple sporting activities
- speech communication possibilities of the athletes among themselves
- Speech intelligibility when using a PA system in sports halls with audience
- Noise and therefore stress-free sports
Therefore room acoustics is one of the fundamental planning tasks when designing a sports hall. A corresponding acoustic equipment has to be provided.
Sustainable and energy efficient
Sports hall ceiling elements consist out of an aluminium carrier panel with copper pipes. Both materials are excellent heat conductors. Therefore the Metawell® sports hall ceilings respond extremely fast and achieve high performance values. When the ceilings are not used anymore they can be recycled without additional preparation.
Furthermore EPDs (Environmental Product Declarations) according to DIN EN ISO 14025 Type III and EN 15804 are offered. The ecological balance of the panels shows a low carbon footprint.
More information about other ceilings: