Shot resistant sports hall ceiling
Ceiling constructions should not only meet the demand of sound protection, but also be tested upon ball impact resistance according to DIN 18032-3 and upon impingement resistance according to EN 13964-D. Because of the extremely rigid construction of the sandwich panel, a deforming of the panel by a ball shot is almost impossible. The Metawell® ceiling additionally undertakes the heating of the hall. The copper pipe meander mounted on the back side of the ceiling convert the acoustic ceiling into an acoustic and radiant ceiling.
The sports hall ceilings are delivered with perforation and rear fixed acoustic fleece, optionally also with copper pipe meanders. The mounting is carried out with a narrow shadow gap onto standard cd-rails. Because of the use of countersunk head screws with a 6 mm diameter the screw heads become invisible between the 6 mm perforation. The screwing on the visible side and the construction of a CD grid is useful. The width of the element 1480 mm creates a fine grid with a speration distance of 700 mm.
In comparison to conventional solutions the heating of sports halls with radiant ceilings has many advantages, such as:
• low supply temperature of the heating water
• environmentally friendly generation by means of regenerative sources and / or heat pumps
• minimum air supply requirement, which results in smaller air ducts and lower air movements
• closed hall ceilings are more hygienic
• no balls can clamp or remain behind the ceiling
• dirt cannot settle down
• entire ceiling serves as an acoustic absorption surface
• ceiling system can also be used for heating and cooling
On basis of the building physics data of the sports hall, the heating load of the hall is calculated by the planner, whereby the room height has a high influence on the temperature distribution. In order to ensure the desired temperature in the area in which the athletes are located, a correction factor should be included in the calculation.
Example: For a sports hall with a height of 7 m, a heat load of 25,000 watts is determined. The correction factor according to the table is 0.7. The heat load to be applied to the ceiling is therefore 35,700 watts.
In order to ensure the speech intelligibility during training lessons and to keep the noise disturbance for athletes, trainer and audience low, room acoustic measurements are undertaken. Subject to the kind of room use and the space volume the reverberation period in sports halls should amount to 1,4 to 2,5 sec. and in multi-purpose halls even to 1,1 to 4,4 sec. DIN EN 18032 explicitly requests the planning of room acoustics:
• speech intelligibility in the single and in particular multiple sporting activities
• speech communication possibilities of the athletes among themselves
• Speech intelligibility when using a PA system in sports halls with audience
• noise and therefore stress-free sports
Therefore room acoustics is one of the fundamental planning tasks when designing a sports hall. A corresponding acoustic equipment has to be provided.
Sustainability and energy efficiency
Sports hall ceiling elements consist out of an aluminium carrier panel with copper pipe meander. Both base materials are excellent heat conductors. Therefore the Metawell® sports hall ceilings respond extremely fast and achieve high performance values. When the ceilings are not used anymore they can be recycled without additional preparation. Furthermore EPDs (Environmental Product Declarations) according to DIN EN ISO 14025 Type III and EN 15804 are offered.
- meets requirements for ball impact resistance acc. to DIN18032-3 and impact resistance acc. to DIN EN 13964-D
- complies with sound absorption requirements
- large-scale aluminium sandwich panel up to 1480 x 6000 mm
- weight incl. meander only max. 8 kg/m2
- mountable with countersunk head screws on all standard rails for dry construction
- the screw heads remain visible, though they become indistinct between the perforation
- allocation of the copper pipe meander is optional
- because of the sandwich structure an extrem even design is visible
- smooth and flat ceiling structure with a sealed cavity
- no settling of dirt and dust on the supporting structure and the back of the radiant heating
- no balls can clamp or remain behind
- better hygienic quality of indoor air
- the appearance of the gymnasium is much more appealing
- EPD acc. DIN EN ISO 14025 Type III and EN 15804
More information about other ceilings: