Tempering rooms efficiently and comfortable with radiant and acoustic ceilings
The term radiant ceiling refers to a suspended – in most cases also sound-absorbing – ceiling, which can heat and cool a room. Radiant ceilings work like the sun by means of radiation. In the heating process warm water flows through the copper pipes on the backside of the panel. In the cooling phase, the Metawell® ceiling element absorbs the heat radiation of the room. Thereby the floor, walls and furnishings cool down and as a result the room temperature drops.
Comfortable and healthy
Radiant ceilings fulfill important requirements on the room climate and promote comfort. Conventional air conditioning systems often do not provide a satisfactory solution, since air is not an effective heat carrier. In addition, the breeze required for cooling is not only felt as unpleasant, but also causes dust and germs to swell.
Further advantages resulting from the air-conditioning with radiant ceilings are a higher comfort and well-being for the employee, which increases the efficiency of the employee and reduces illnesses and absenteeism.
Energy-efficient and cost-saving
The operative room temperature perceived by the employee, the so called sensation temperature, is decisive. This is the mean value of room air and surface temperature of the enclosing surfaces. For this reason the room air temperature in rooms with radiant ceilings can be between 1 – 2 °C lower than the room air temperature with pure air cooling – but with the same perceived comfort. In the building technology a saving of 6 % of the energy costs per 1 °C drop of room temperature is calculated. In the cooling phase the savings are even higher, because heating is technically cheaper than cooling.
Metawell® radiant ceilings consist of the two particularly good heat-conducting metals aluminium and copper. In comparison to other steel or gypsum cardboard systems Metawell® reacts extremely fast and reaches higher performance levels.
Radiant ceilings are space-saving. No radiators reduce or impair the usable space and no large-sized air ducts are necessary in the ceiling cavity. The converted building volume is therefore reduced but has the same useful space area.
In general the sound absorption in modern office buildings is a problem. Large windows and core-tempered buildings represent sound-hard surfaces. For a relaxed communication special attention should be paid to room acoustics.
Using perforated Metawell® radiant ceilings is a good idea. If this is not possible anymore, perforated acoustic ceiling elements without cooling and heating function can also be installed afterwards. Their big advantage is that they do not have a thermally insulating effect. Thus, the performance of already installed radiant ceiling surfaces is not or only slightly reduced.
The high rigidity of Metawell® allows static weakening by large cutouts, so lighting (e.g. pendant lamps) can be fixed directly to the panel. This gives lighting technicians huge design possibilities and saves additional assembly costs. By varying the perforation, the surface color and the degree of gloss – light reflection can be matched to the needs of the user. Especially in case of floor lights, ceiling lights and LEDs.
- heating and cooling with one system
- lower energy consumption, since the perceived room temperature can be set 1-2 °C lower
- less space in the ceiling cavity and in the technical center, since water is a better energy source than air
- hardly any maintenance costs
- high performance allows a lower occupancy density
- fast and easy installation
- quick reaction time because of excellent heat conductors aluminium and copper
- less sickness-related absenteeism
- improved performance of employees
- radiation heat like the sun
- no noise disturbance and
- no noticeable breeze
- no swelling of bacteria and dust
- good room acoustics due to high sound absorption
- equal temperature level in the room
- various contour and edge geometries
- different surfaces and coatings
- unlimited flexibility in planning, room design and room layout
- easy installation of sprinklers, lamps, maintenance flaps
- thin ceiling construction thanks to low construction height
- low weight
- high load capacity by sandwich structure
- unique flatness
- also suitable for retrofitting
- especially in office and administrative buildings, hospitals, sports halls …
- suitable for every floor plan
You can choose between:
Radiant ceiling brochure
Room acoustics brochure
Sports hall ceiling brochure
Hospital ceiling brochure
Ceiling sails references
Modular and grid ceiling references
Jointless ceiling references
Special coil coating for interior design
Overview construction: facades, radiant and acoustic ceilings, interior design