Tempering rooms efficiently and comfortable with radiant and acoustic ceilings
The term radiant ceiling refers to a suspended – in most cases also sound-absorbing – ceiling, which can heat and cool a room. Radiant ceilings work like the sun by means of radiation. In the heating process warm water flows through the copper pipes on the backside of the ceiling. In the cooling phase, the Metawell® ceiling element absorbs the heat radiation of the room. Thereby the floor, walls and furnishings cool down and as a result the room temperature drops.
Comfortable and healthy
Radiant ceilings fulfill important requirements on the room climate and promote comfort. Conventional air conditioning systems often do not provide a satisfactory solution, since air is not an effective heat carrier. In addition, the breeze required for cooling is not only felt as unpleasant, but also causes dust and germs to swell.
Further advantages resulting from the air-conditioning with radiant ceilings are a higher comfort and well-being for the employee, which increases the efficiency of the employee and reduces illnesses and absenteeism.
Energy-efficient and cost-saving
The operative room temperature perceived by the employee, the so called sensation temperature, is decisive. This is the mean value of room air and surface temperature of the enclosing surfaces. For this reason the room air temperature in rooms with radiant ceilings can be set between 1 – 2 °C lower than the room air temperature with pure air cooling – but with the same perceived comfort. In the building technology a saving of 6 % of the energy costs per 1°C drop of room temperature is calculated. . In the cooling phase the savings are even higher, because heating is technically cheaper than cooling.
Metawell® radiant ceilings consist of the two particularly good heat-conducting metals aluminium and copper. In comparison to other steel or gypsum cardboard systems Metawell® reacts extremely fast and reaches higher performance levels.
Radiant ceilings are space-saving. No radiators reduce or impair the usable space and no large-sized air ducts are necessary in the ceiling cavity. The converted building volume is therefore reduced but has the same useful space area.
In general the sound absorption in modern office buildings is a problem. Large window surfaces and core-tempered buildings pose as sound-hard surfaces. For a relaxed communication special attention should be paid to room acoustics.
Using perforated Metawell® radiant ceilings is a good idea. If this is not possible anymore, perforated acoustic ceiling elements from Metawell® without cooling and heating function can be installed afterwards. Their big advantage is that they do not have a thermally insulating effect and so the performance of already installed radiant surfaces is minimal effected.
The high rigidity of Metawell® allows static weakening due to large cutouts for recessed lighting and high load of lamp weights e.g. for pendant lamps. In general it is not necessary to fix the lamps to the raw ceiling. This gives the lighting technician huge design possibilities and saves additional assembly costs. By varying the dimension of the perforation, the surface color and the degree of gloss the light reflection can be matched to the needs of the user. Especially in the case of floor lights, ceiling lights and LEDs
- heating and cooling with one system
- less space in the ceiling cavity and in the technical center, since water is a better source of energy than air
- hardly any maintenance costs
- high performance allows a lower occupancy density
- fast and easy to install
- quick reaction time because of excellent heat conductors aluminium and copper
- less sickness-related absenteeism
- improved performance of employees
- radiation heat like the sun
- no noise disturbance and
- no noticeable breeze
- no swelling of bacteria and dust
- good room acoustics due to high sound absorption
- equal temperature level in the room
- any contour geometry and numerous edge geometries
- many surface and coatings variants
- unlimited flexibility in planning, room design and room layout
- easy installation of sprinklers, lamps, maintenance flaps
- thin ceiling structures thanks to low height, light weight and slim design
- low weight
- high load capacity by sandwich structure
- unique flatness
- also suitable for retrofitting
- especially in office and administrative buildings, hospitals, sports halls …
- can be used at every floor plan
You can choose between: